Case study of EVIKA: advantages of building automation09 November 2016
September 29, 2016, Alexey Korzhebin, technical director at EVIKA, spoke at the annual “Internet of Things” conference.
EVIKA presents Embedded Systems and has been developing professional equipment for building automation for more than 10 years. At the conference, the company representative shared EVIKA experience in the automation sector and told about advantages of implementing progressive IoT technologies.
The speaker started his presentation with the fact that more than 40 % of world’s energy is spent for buildings. To reduce these data as well as to improve amenities, EVIKA offers to implement the Internet of Things technology.
Why should IoT systems take upon human obligations? Because a human being:
- is unreliable;
- does a poor job of increasing systems complexity.
IoT combines opportunities and functionality of ERP systems, machine learning and mathematic modeling. Building automation systems have been used since the early 80s of the past century. Smart technologies are applied in managing engineering nets of buildings in private, commercial and industrial real property.
According to EVIKA experts, automation allows to save energy resources significantly: individual thermostat – up to 50%, automatic heating system – up to 40%, window blind control – up to 45%, automatic lighting – up to 80%, automatic ventilation – up to 60%.
Besides, modern building automation systems are an integral part of IoT infrastructure nowadays. They include a vast amount of installed stationary sensors, integrate with portable electronics and have a constant communication channel.
What opportunities does building automation system provide?
1. Control command visualization:
- work on various platforms and screens;
- adaptation to a certain user;
- remote security access;
- dynamic design;
- integration with augmented and virtual reality systems.
2. Personal voice assistants:
- dialogue voice control of the house and other stuff;
- receiving of notifications;
- help of Siri, Amazon Echo, Google Home.
3. Gesture control:
- portable electronics;
- LogicMachine Wall;
- Realsense cameras.
Moreover, a building automation provides full human health and life protection from negative impact of external environment:
- creation of the most favorable microclimate building spaces;
- warning of possible adverse health effects;
- obtaining of biometrics data from portable devices;
- protection from technical incidents;
- integration with security systems;
- recognition of “yellow” threat level;
- Information security and independence.
A smart system is also able to self-education based on inhabitant behavior analysis, to analyze engineering system operation, to prevent incidents, as well as to optimize the use of resources and to reduce operating cost.
Equipment installed by EVIKA reliably operates about 20-30 years, has functions of self-diagnostic, resource usage monitoring, etc. Thus, building automation will be paid off very fast and allow to save resources and money for maintain and repair of engineering systems in future.