Tibbo Systems expert told why it is worth applying IoT in agriculture
Late September during the “Internet of Things” conference there was a presentation of Tibbo Systems representative Dmitriy Moiseev. The speaker addressed a topic of the IoT implementation into agriculture and told about advantages of using the company’s product – IoT platform AggreGate.
At the beginning of the report, the expert listed the main stages of agriculture development:
- 1 stage: machinery for farming instead of manual labor;
- 2 stage: mechanization of production, including storing and processing;
- 3 stage: mineral fertilizers and chemical plant protection, change of ground parameters, selection;
- 4 stage: genetic engineering tools;
- 5 stage: precision agriculture.
According to the speaker, in the era of precision agriculture, application of the IoT technologies in agriculture will help to:
- save money on fertilizers and plant protection;
- increase soil fertility due to smart management;
- monitor the state of harvest and avoid its loss during storing;
- increase the efficiency of the use of specialized equipment;
- monitor the state and location of animals;
- control the state of manufacturing line equipment, etc.
However, before using IoT tools, you should take into account some peculiarities, including outdated agriculture technology, close link between economy of agricultural enterprises and natural processes of growth and development of living organisms, the influence over which is limited, direct dependence on environmental factors, and seasonality.
That is why within the current stage it is possible to implement the following IoT solutions:
- apply bow thrusts and autopilots for agricultural machinery;
- equip irrigation systems taking into account condition and peculiarities of soil;
- use systems for accurate fertilization;
- apply systems for disease and pest control;
- use innovative technologies for harvest storing;
- improve and automate (if possible) manufacturing lines.
At the end of his report the representative of Tibbo Systems mentioned a successful case of a company, which implemented the system for monitoring and predicting the harvest condition. It is software and hardware system that include various equipment: autonomous wireless temperature and CO2 humidity sensors, base stations and sluices, GPS / GLONASS receivers, laboratory facilities for simulating various conditions, weather stations and weather forecasting services, as well as intellectual IoT platform Tibbo AggreGate.
As the result of these innovations, the company managed to:
- get information about the reduction of sugar amount in white beet within each separate area of the field;
- suppress rottenness of product at early stages;
- increase sugar production due to planning of processing taking into account storing conditions and state of the product;
- monitor location and effectiveness of the use of agricultural machinery afield.
As we can see, IoT platform Tibbo AggreGate has clearly proved its exceptional efficacy and usefulness.